The Dehcho Regional Wellness Council (RWC) serves as an advisory body to the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Leadership Council. The RWC provides advice regarding health and social services, priorities under the territorial health and social services plan, and the promotion of health and wellness. The RWC plays a role in ensuring that the concerns and input from the public are addressed and used to inform the delivery of services.
Government of the Northwest Territories
Department of Health & Social Services
Hospital Insurance and Health and Social Services Administration Act (NWT)
The Dehcho RWC is composed of six members and a chairperson, for a total of seven members.
Nominations to the Regional Wellness Council are solicited from by public advertisements in the communities served by the Regional Wellness Council.
There are no alternate members.
The Act does not provide for the appointment of alternate members to the Regional Wellness Council
The Chairperson is appointed by the Minister of Health and Social Services. Each chairperson will be a member of the Leadership Council.
There is no Vice-Chairperson.
Quorum is a majority of the members appointed.
Members are appointed by the Minister of Health and Social Services under section 4.1(2) of the Hospital Insurance and Health and Social Services Administration Act.
Members and Chair of the Dehcho RWC may serve up to a three year term and may be eligible for reappointment.
The Act prohibits the appointment of a person for more than three consecutive terms.
Time and Travel Requirements
The RWC can meet up to a maximum of 12 times per year, but may meet less if the council determines that is sufficient. The RWC must meet within the region they serve but if members can’t attend in person they may join via teleconference or video conference.
Members of the RWC shall receive remuneration according to Executive Council classification and Financial Management Board Secretariat directives. RWC members will only be paid for days they meet with the amounts being:
Category – Advisory
Chairperson - up to $300 per day
Member - up to $250 per day
Chair and members – 50% per half-day (i.e., 3.5 hours or less), for work on board business for each day of meetings
People are eligible to serve as a member of the RWC if they are:
- Residents of the geographic area served by the RWC for at least six months immediately preceding the appointment;
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- At least 19 years of age;
- Knowledgeable regarding the purpose, roles and responsibilities of the RWC;
- Experienced with a proven track record for participation in regional and territorial organizations or committees;
- Available for and committed to full participation as a council member;
- Prepared to sign a statement of ethics and confidentiality related to their duties;
- Able to demonstrate that they are not in a position of conflict with respect to their role as a council member.
People cannot serve as a member of the RWC if:
- they or their spouse work for or provide services for the health and social services system within the region;
- they are a Member of the Legislative Assembly or a Member of Parliament of Canada;
- they have, within the last three years, been convicted of an offence under the Criminal Code and who was sentenced to a term of imprisonment.
|Position||Appointee||Term Start||Term Expiry||Number of Terms||Appointed By||Nominating Authority|
|1. Chair||(Vacant - 2 year term)||Minister of Health and Social Services||Dehcho First Nations|
|2. Member||Carielyn Jumbo||2022-08-12||2025-07-31||1st term||Minister of Health and Social Services||Self-nominated|
|3. Member||Dawn Bell Isaiah||2022-08-12||2025-07-31||1st term||Minister of Health and Social Services||Fort Simpson Métis Local|
|4. Member||Marlene Matou||2021-08-01||2024-07-31||1st term||Minister of Health and Social Services||Self-nominated|
|5. Member||Gabe Hardisty||2022-08-12||2025-07-31||1st term||Minister of Health and Social Services||MLA/Sambaa Ke First Nation|
|6. Member||Lorraine Whiteman||2022-08-12||2025-07-31||1st term||Minister of Health and Social Services||MLA|
|7. Member||(Vacant - 3 year term)||Minister of Health and Social Services||Village of Fort Simpson|